Saturday, February 13, 2021

Weekend Music Roundup

 

Welcome to the holiday weekend...a double holiday with Valentine's on Sunday and President's on Monday. One way to celebrate love and politics is through music. This week features a few good new releases and a handful of past albums from lots of different genres and time periods. Hopefully there something here you'll want to check out. Enjoy.


The Besnard Lakes - The Besnard Lakes are the Last of the Great Thunderstorm Warnings: The sixth album from the Montreal neo-psychedelic band with the most fantastic of esoteric album titles, is perhaps their best literary titled effort. It's been five years since their last album, a brilliant "Green is the Colour"-eque record. They've gone next level with this one, into the depths of shoegazer psychedelica. "Raindrops," "New Revolution," and the tile track are personal favorites.   

Fox Face - The End of Man: The second album from the Milwaukee garage rockers is high energy. There's been so many great punk bands led by women recently, L.A. Witch, Le Butcherettes, etc. All children of the pioneering riot grrl bands, no longer feeling the need to ape those who came before and just scream into the void with a psychedelic abandon. Kurt would have been proud. "Luminol," "SWF" "Haunt You," and the title track are standouts.  

The Zombies - Begin Here: The second album from the iconic UK band was released in '65. Their third album, Odessey and Oracle is a revered psychedelic pop record, but this is my personal favorite of theirs. I've had this on CD for decades, but recently picked up a vinyl copy.  Their version of "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" is next level stuff. So many great tracks on this, making it an essential album of the period in my opinion. 

Superheaven - Ours is Chrome: Released in 2015, this is the second album from indie rock band that was known as Daylight on the debut album "Jar".  The band hails from suburban Philly, which was one reason why I decided to pick it up when I saw it at the local shop. They don't try to hide their '90s alt rock influences, and they are clearly inspired by an endless string of early to mid-90s bands. That's not a bad thing in my opinion, especially when it's done right. "Next to Nothing," "Dig Into Me," and "Blur" are favorites of mine on this solid album. For me it's a nostalgic listen, and makes me want to check out some of those bands from that era that I haven't played in years.

 

Lee Michaels - Barrel: The fourth album from the L.A. psychedelic blue eyed soul artist was released in 1970. I'd gotten a copy of 5th, the album that followed this one, about two years ago and found it to be pretty decent, kind of American version of early Elton John. I found this one in the 4 for $10 bin at the local shop and decided to pick it up. This is a better album, with a great early 70's folk rock sound that reminds me of my childhood. "What Now America," "Uummm My Lady," "Murder in My Heart," and "Games" are personal favorites on this really enjoyable record.  

 

The Coon Creek Girls - Early Radio Favorites: Though recorded in the 30s, this compilation wasn't released until 1982. I found a Ledford Family (relatives of Lily May from this outfit) record years back and loved it's old timey sound, so when I saw this for sale in the local shop, I had to pick it up. This is a collection of old time Appalachian music out of Kentucky. This is the kind of music that when you're in the mood for it, there's nothing finer. A great find of an uncommon record.

No comments:

Post a Comment