Monday, December 7, 2020

Long Cold Winter

 

I remember when The Big Chill was showing on cable when I was young, and I remember thinking it was such a grown-up movie...like how grown-ups really liked boring stuff. Chariots of Fire was the other one. Fast forward nearly forty years and a few weeks ago, I found myself thinking about that out of the blue and I thought that I should probably watch this movie.

Naturally, the library had a copy of the DVD and I checked it out to watch over Thanksgiving. The long weekend came and went, but we finally sat down for it and what a good movie this is, but I movie I don't I would have appreciated until a minimum of three or four years ago. 

There's an honesty about these characters, the way they interact and how they talk to each other, that gives this movie it's power. It's a rare, genuine examination of friendship and passing into middle age...and it still holds true. 



No comments:

Post a Comment