Saturday, August 8, 2020

Weekend Music Roundup

 
 
 
Welcome to the weekend. I've found myself listening to a good amount of folk these days, some of which are on this list. Being summer, I also tend to listen to a lot of hip-hop, but I'm still absorbing the new albums I've been hearing and will save the hip-hop for another list. Most of this list is new releases, with the exception of classic that recently had a new limited pressing. Some old favorites, some new discovers. As always...enjoy.
 
 
Little Kid - Transfiguration Highway: A decade into their career the Toronto lo-fi folk band's sixth album is one of a string of pleasant surprises I've encountered this summer. This reminds me of the underground bands of the late 00s and early 10s, who really jump started the indie folk revival with songs of simple beauty. These are delicate songs with the perfect wintry vibe that I like from this genre. "Made for Each Other," "Candle Out," "Close Enough to Kill," and the title track are my personal favorites on this outstanding album.  

Neil Young - Bottom Line 1974: I've had this bootleg on CD for ages, under the title Citizen Kane Junior Blues. It's one of my favorite Neil performances and features a mind-blowing rendition of "Revolution Blues" and other On the Beach tracks. There's been this weird thing that's happened recently that bootleg radio shows are being released without authorization of the label or artist. They are essentially bootlegs, but you can buy them anywhere. When this one got a 500 copy pressing, I snatched it up. Fantastic stuff, this!
 
Trickfinger - She Smiles Because She Presses the Button: The third acid techno release from John Frusciante under this name is easily the most listenable. Being a huge devotee of his, I checked out the first release five years ago, and wouldn't have bothered with this if it weren't for the title's nod to his second solo album. He's had a few years to work on this art, and being the talented person he is, he has improved tenfold. Though not my ideal choice of genres by any means, I can respect this one.  
 
Woods - Strange to Explain: The first album in three years from one of my favorite psychedelic folk outfits. This band has been around for 15 years, a band that I first encountered about 11 years ago. Their music is the exact kind of psych folk I'm into, with washed out vocals and near perfect pop eeriness. This one picks up where Love is Love left off, exploring interesting parts of the inner soundscapes in an uptempo way. "Where Do You Go When You Dream," "Weekend Wind," "Fell So Hard" "Just Fall to Sleep," and the title track are my personal favorites. A really really good album. 

Queen Elephantine - Tribute to Atrophos Vol. 1: The first in a series of EPs by the avant-garde psychedelic band formed in Hong Kong fourteen years ago and currently in Philly. These improvised recordings are a pleasant bit of stoner metal that has a drone sentiment, but without the constant repetition. There are now three in the series, this first one released back in April. This was my first intro to this band and it's definitely intriguing. You can give it a listen on their Bandcamp site.

No comments:

Post a Comment