Friday, April 3, 2020

Fiction Friday (103)


I hope in these times of staying at home you are all having plenty of time to read. That has not been the case for me. I've been working from home, and taking care of my daughter, I've actually had a lot less free time than I did before I was staying home...which is also why there have not been any posts on here for a few weeks. But I'm back, and here is one book a I read.

Timekeeper by Tara Sim
(Sky Pony Press, 2016)

In this re-imagined, steampunk version of Victorian England, time is something that can be broken, but luckily it can also be fixed. Time is regulated by the various clock towers around the world, and these towers are maintained by a union of mechanics who are trained to feel the threads of time and make sure the machines are working properly.

Danny is one of the youngest mechanics, but youth hasn't spared him from tragedy. It seems as though time is working against him. His father, also a mechanic, has been stuck for three years in a town where time has STOPPED. And to make things worse, it seems there is someone out there trying to destroy more towers and freeze more towns in time. And if all of that wasn't stressful enough, Danny is also falling in love.

This is one of those books that has an interesting premise, some very cool ideas, but for me they never came together in a complete way. The characters felt very flat to me, and any scene that was meant to be emotional just didn't ring true. Having the main character simply repeat his feelings over and over and over again isn't a compelling tool for effectively conveying emotion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment