Saturday, October 20, 2018

Weekend Music Roundup



As promised, this weekend the Roundup returns to its usual format of random ramblings about music that I've been listening to recently. There a few new releases from bands that I've long loved, as well as a new debut record that I'm really into. There's two older albums that I recently discovered on vinyl, both of which I really like. So all in all, lots of love on this week's list. Hopefully you will all find something to love as well. Enjoy.


Basement Revolver - Heavy Eyes: This is the debut album from the Canadian indie band. It has a decidedly 90's indie rock feel, reminding me of little known, but much liked, bands Enormous and Helium. But it's also very much of today, reminding me of Best Coast and others. The female vocals work great with the music. "Words," "Wait," "Johnny," "Johnny Pt. 2," and "Dancing" are standout tracks for me. 

Duke Ellington - Ellington Uptown: Released in 1953, when jazz was in full swing and drifting in many directions, this record is a bit of an artifact of that shift. The first side of the album is Ellington's Big Band sound that he'd done for years prior, while the second side sees the move into Hard Bop. I love Duke's blend of Big Band, but I really gravitate toward the second side, with two great tracks, "A Tone Parallel to Harlem," and "Perdido." Not to mention, that I love this cover.

The Coral - Move Through the Dawn: The ninth album from the UK indie band is their first in two years. This is a band I've been following since their debut 16 years ago, and this is a return to the more upbeat sound of their early years. Though I love the darker, quieter sound of their last album, it's nice to hear their bluesy Beatles-esque sound once again. Some of my favorites are "Stormbreaker," "Sweet Release," "Strangers in the Hollow," and "Eyes of the Moon." 

Erase Errata - Other Animals: The 2001 debut record from the No-Wave, noise rock outfit from San Fran was one I was lucky enough to find used on vinyl a ways back. My wife has known the bass player forever, long before the band existed, so it has a lot of personal significance for us. Oddly, this band emerged around the same time as the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and have a similar feel in their debuts, except this is much more NYC sounding, ironically as the other band is from NYC. This takes the no-wave sound of the 80s, and improves it with the addition of some melody and structure. This is the kind of record that is not for everyone, or for all times, but when your in the mood, it's wonderful. "Tongue Tied," "Delivery," "1 Minute," and "Fault List" are my personal favorites.  


Suede - The Blue Hour: This is the ninth album in the London band's 25 year career, and their first in two years. I've followed this band since the mid-90's and like a lot of bands, there certainly isn't any comparing their early work with their contemporary work. In fact, I'm not really sure it's fair to try because the sensibilities of one in their 20s is different than it is in their 40s. Brett Anderson shouldn't be held to creating the revolutionary BritPop glam rock of three decades ago. That said, this is still a Suede record and it does feel like Suede. There is an eerie mood in the celebration of the fringes of the world in the tales told, as there always has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment