Friday, July 27, 2018

Fiction Friday (71)



Having a week long vacation two weeks ago, gave me some time to do some recreational reading and I took advantage of the time to read Colin Meloy's newest novel, which I've been wanting to read for several months. I was expecting another fantasy themed story like he Wildwood trilogy, but was treated with a realistic, if somewhat magical, tale of a boy trying to find his place in the world.

The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid by Colin Meloy
(Balzer + Bray, 2017)

After the display of brilliant imagination that is the Wildwood Chronicles, I couldn't wait to read Colin Meloy's newest novel. Shockingly, I had a hard time tracking this one down. I hate buying books online, and would much rather support a small store...though I also had ordering. I like discovering it. Finally I couldn't wait any longer and had to borrow it from the library (on Inter-Library Loan, since my library didn't have it either...I know, I checked).

This is a very different type of book than Wildwood. It's realistic and not fantasy, though wondrous at times. It's set in a distinct time period, 1960's France. It follows a likable, budding young writer, named Charlie who has had trouble finding his place in the world, being left by his eccentric mother only to be moved around often with his diplomat father. It isn't until he meets a bang of child pickpockets that he begins to discover himself. But is his discovery simply another illusion of  the Whiz Mob?

A fast pace story that meanders a bit in the first half and middle. It didn't truly grab me until just past the half way point, and from there on, it is incredibly rewarding. There's enough intrigue and plot twists to keep this from being predictable or formulaic. The last 30 pages or so are remarkable, and to be honest, I which the story had spent more time at the School of the Seven Bells, and less on the coast of France.

No comments:

Post a Comment