Friday, August 27, 2021

Fiction Friday (139)

 

Being the nerd that I am, I'd been waiting anxiously for Hollowpox (the third Nevermoor book) to come out. I'd been waiting since I finished the second book over two years ago. Then, when it finally did come out last October, life got in the way as life will do. I bought the book a few months ago, but had a lot of reading obligations. Also, this was the series that really inspired me to pursue the middle grade novel that I've been working on for two years and I wanted to wait until I was far enough into the manuscript that it wouldn't influence me. Oh, the complications of the reading life of a writer!


Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend

(Little Brown, 2020)

Morrigan Crow has just finished her first year at the Wundrous Society and is finally beginning to feel at home, but being the only Wundersmith in a hundred years, things are bound to get complicated. Her instructors have finally agreed to instruct her the Wundrous Arts, using lessons from the past that have been frozen in time using "ghostly hours." For once, Morrigan believes she just might learn to be a true Wundersmith after all...then a mysterious sickness begins to disrupt life in the Free State of Nevermoor. 

As more and more Wunimals are infected, turning them into regular animals, the city is on the verge of panic. Morrigan soon discovers that she is the only one who can fix it...but she will need the help of the villainous Ezra Squall to do it. 

As with the previous two novels, there is such a careful build-up with scenes that engross the reader in Morrigan's world that you secretly hope the story never ends. It is clear why this book was postponed so often, it was because Townsend was busy weaving together a brilliant tale, while also building the bigger story so perfectly. The expectations for this book were through the roof and she rose to the challenge. Bravo!





No comments:

Post a Comment