Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The King of Staten Island

 

Last year's The King of Staten Island was a movie that I thought looked promising from previews. When I was at the library last week, they had a copy and I checked it out. Until I saw the DVD case, I hadn't known Judd Apatow was involved as director and co-screenwriter. I don't like all of his movies, but the ones I do like, I really enjoy. I also like Pete Davidson, but admit to being unsure of him as a film guy as it was something unproven...however, both were enough to think it was worth a shot.

It's a semi-autobiographical film based on some elements of Pete Davidson's life. There are some hilarious scenes in this film, up their with the best of Apatow movies I've seen. But beyond that, this is also just a good film. The story touches on deeper issues about the working class, mental health, and the loss of hope in an anxiety generation. It offers a more sympathetic view of a generation that has been mislabeled "entitled" by rejecting the Baby Boomer doctrine that when you grow-up you should accept that life becomes work. The question in this film, and one most people between the ages 25-50 are asking, is why does it have to?

No comments:

Post a Comment