Saturday, September 12, 2020

Weekend Music Roundup

The weekend is here! At least in my corner of the world, the weather has decided to act as it should, turning decidedly autumn like for the start of school. This week I'm rounding up a bunch of new acquisitions, most of which remind me of my days starting school way back when. There was always this feeling at this time of year, the time when you started having to abide by a schedule again, a schedule of doing homework and listening to music, that made me really eager for new sounds. That feeling never left. This is mostly rock, from soul rock to goth rock. Hopefully there's some new sounds here for you to enjoy.


Fantastic Negrito - Have You Lost Your Mind Yet?: This is the third album from the Oakland soul blues rock band and my first introduction to them. This was one of those bands that from the first song I heard, I knew I had to hear the whole thing. It's just up-tempo rock infused with soul, the kind of album that only ever seems to come out of California. "I'm So Happy I Cry," "Searching for Captain Save a Hoe," "How Long?" "All Up in my Space," and "King Frustration" are all standouts on this wonderful album. 

 

The Flaming Lips - In a Priest Driven Ambulance: The iconic Oklahoma bands fourth album was released in 1990 and is often cited as the culmination of their early work into one of the true gems of early "alternative." It's rougher, less focused than their present Floydian sound and holds more in common with The Replacements or Sonic Youth than anything resembling psych rock. "Shine Sweet Jesus," "Take Me Ta Mars," "Five Stop Mother Superior Rain," and their rendition of "Wonderful World" are standouts. 

 

Christian Death - Catastrophe Ballet: The second album from one of the pioneering American Goth bands out of L.A.. Released in '84, two years after their debut, this is dark cabaret at it's purest. While the music would have been haunting to listeners at the time, and even some now, viewed from distance and the further evolution of darkwave, it's simply artistic rather than horrifying. Being from L.A., it blends the gothic UK sound with the emerging glam style of that city. "Sleepwalk," "The Drowning," and "Electra Descending" are favorites.  

 

Gorillaz - G Sides: Originally released in 2002 on CD, not too long after their debut, this compilation was released on vinyl for the first time on Record Store Day this year. Damon Albarn is held in the highest regards in my household, not only by me, but especially by my Missus who would rank him as her favorite musician. I picked this up more to complete the collection but actually find myself pleasantly surprised. In those early days, there was an effort to make this project sound unlike Damon's other styles, but on these B-sides we see what would later emerge. Not to mention the re-mixes are very solid. I should've checked this out years ago.

 

Cheap Trick - In Color:  Released in the summer of '77, just six months after their self-titled debut, this is the second album from the Mid-West hard rock foursome. The late 70s were a changing of the guard as rock began to splinter into lots of genres. The "classic" blues based hard rock bands were getting older and the next generation were coming up. This a great solid rock record that stands alongside Aerosmith, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and other honest rock music of the era.  "Oh Caroline," "Clock Strikes Ten," "Hello There," and "Downed"are personal favorites. 

 

High Climbers - High Climbers EP: Released in 2014, this is the debut EP from the Bristol UK band. Since then, they've put out a bunch of stuff, all available from their Bandcamp site linked above. They have a mellow psychedelic folk sound that really grabbed me. Only three tracks, but all of them are pretty great. Their unique vibe is something any fan of the genre will appreciate and I highly recommend checking them out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment