Friday, June 19, 2020

Fiction Friday (107)


A few weeks ago, I found myself having finished all the library books I'd checked out before the doors shuttered back in March. So I went to my shelf of unread books and figured it was time to continue a book in a series I hadn't visited in some years. It was nice to switch back to Middle Grade after a long spell in YA.

The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Prisoner's Dilemma 
by Trenton Lee Stewart
(Little Brown, 2009)

The clever kids that make up "The Society" have returned from defeating Mr. Curtain's dastardly scheme in the last book, but things are not as peaceful as they should be.  Mr. Curtain is still on the loose, still controls his evil Ten Men, and is desperate to recover his Whisperer...which just happens to be located in the same place as Kate, Constance, Reynie, and Sticky.

Being the third book in the series, (a series or rather thick books), readers are well aware of the gifted children and their peculiar talents. They are also aware of the adventure quest structure that all three books follow; a sinister plan shrouded in secrecy, a plan revealed thought riddles, and a maze of twists and turns to navigate in order to the mystery.

It's been years since I read the first two books, but picking this up a few weeks ago was like putting on a pair of comfortable socks. I've always enjoyed the company of these kids, even though I must admit I have never really LOVED any of the books. What I love is the characters, enough that I'm able to look past the things in the stories always seem to make me cringe. (Buckets and Briefcases, anyone?). 

 This book was tighter than the previous two and therefore a bit easier to get through. The plot twists were, as with previous books, slightly less clever than I believe the author felt they were. But all in all, it was another fun adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment