Monday, October 28, 2019

Under My Umbrella


I finished watching Season 1 of The Umbrella Academy on Netflix the other day. I'll admit that I haven't read Gerard Way's graphic novels on which the show is based, despite having wanted to read them, being a fan of his. So I came into this show blind, and cannot compare it to the books, just throwing that out there.

The show is definitely entertaining. The story is big, and gradually gets bigger as the season goes on. It's a little derivative of some other things, Heros definitely comes to mind, but it was original enough that it didn't bother me. It also hints at a much bigger story that hopefully will be touched on in the second season. The time travel aspect was enough to set it apart, and given that I'm a sucker for time travel, it was definitely enough for me. 

The characters are all intriguing, though the acting is sometimes uneven. There were episodes when the acting definitely brought it down a little, but I liked that there were characters that you could gravitate to. Ellen Page was fantastic, but some of the other characters fell too much into cliche. Thankfully, it was never enough to dampen interest in watching the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment