Friday, June 28, 2019

Series of Unfortunate Events (The Penultimate Peril)


I'm nearing the end of A Series of Unfortunate Events, literally, as the last episode is called The End. I'm finding myself not wanting it to end, yet desperately wanting to know how it all concludes. As I mentioned early in my watching of the Netflix show, I devoured these books as they were released, but somewhere along the way, I had to stop because they seemed just too depressing even for me. The show knows how to show the lighter side of the books, the side that my brain refused to see as I was reading them, because my mind tends to go straight to dark.

As the series nears the conclusion, everything is starting to come together, as one would expect in a piece of master storytelling, which I do believe this series to be. Many of the mysteries that have lingered throughout the horrible lives of the Baudelaire orphans are explained in this episode where Count Olaf is put on trial and manages to turn the tables on the children once again. 

The biggest discovery in this episode, and shocking twist, is that we learn the Baudelaire children are not so different from Olaf in some ways...though far less evil. It's a discovery that shakes them, and leaves them to make a choice. In the end, they realize that escaping with Olaf is the best choice they have at the moment. 

Surely, it can't end well...nothing ever does for them. But that doesn't keep me from watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment