Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Series of Unfortunate Events (The Wide Window)


Avoiding the advice of Lemony Snicket and the words of the theme song, I did not look away. I continue to view the miserable circumstances of the Baudelaire orphans and the endless pursuit of the ruthless Count Olaf as he seeks to dispose of them and get his hands on the fortune they are set to inherit. Last night, I watched the two part adaptation of the third book, The Wide Window.

Admittedly, this was my least favorite episode so far, but I still really enjoyed. The sets in this one were spectacular and reminded me of The City of Lost Children. The sailor themed costumes also nodded back to that film, which is one of my favorites. 

Aunt Josephine was never my favorite caregiver as I find her more frustrating than some of the others. She was played a bit over dramatically, but somehow it still worked. It was also at this point in the book series where Mr. Poe started to get on my nerves. WHY CAN'T ANYONE DO RIGHT BY THESE CHILDREN! But therein lies the joy for child audiences. They are the superior characters.

The Baudelaire siblings however really grew up in this episode, become far more active, brave, and confident. Neil Patrick Harris was brilliant once again as Captain Sham. All in all, it was another great episode and lays the groundwork for some of the action that is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment