Saturday, March 15, 2014

Who Did What Now?


Nearly everything I've written in the last fifteen years has been in first person. There has been the rare occasion where I've experimented with third person, to varying degrees of success, but I've always found it difficult to express character in a powerful way through the third person structure. Given that most of my stories are character driven, it naturally seemed sensible to stay in the first person.

The last few days I've been working more on the Werewolf story I mentioned two weeks ago. After reviewing the the chapters I'd written three years ago in order to get a sense of where I wanted to go with the rewrite, I realized one of the things that was getting in the way of the story was the character's voice. I had been trying to make him come to life, and by doing so, it was taking away from the plot, which for the first time in a long time, is the center of what I trying to relay. So in response, when I started over, I began the narrative in third person.

The adjustment has been interesting, and a bit of a learning-on-the-job project. It's out of my normal comfort zone, but so is the story in a way, so I think it might work out. Either way, I'm enjoying the task. Everyone once in a while it's good to test yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment