Thursday, October 27, 2011

Little Birds Born Without a Mother or a Father


Tonight I'm going to see Jeff Mangum (of Neutral Milk Hotel) play a concert at a small theater in Woodstock, NY. For those of you not familiar with the story, it goes something like this. With their second album, Neutral Milk Hotel achieved a mild level of success within the indie world and by 1998 were well on their way to stardom. Then they simply stopped playing.

In the years since, there have a been only a handful of Jeff Mangum solo shows. Recently this summer, he began playing a very small tour. When this show was announced so near my home, I couldn't miss it. And not only is it a chance to see one of my favorite songwriters of all time, it's also a benefit concert for the Woodstock Animal Sanctuary--the home of Albie, the three-legged goat I sponsored this year. I'll be there with my friend Dan, the same person I saw NMH hotel with over thirteen years ago. It should be a near religious experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment