Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Through the Woods Safely


In a wave of energy at the end of last week, I finished the manuscript I've been writing for the last month and a half. The story moved so easily through the last sixty pages. The threads began to weave together on their own without my manipulation. As any writer will tell you, the story benefits from that. Writers tend to get in the way with all of our words.

I read through the draft yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed what I had written. For a book that came about sentence by sentence, it surprised me how effortless it sounded. As I was writing, I felt myself becoming a bit of a perfectionist with each phrase. I've written like that before. Dirty Liar and Thief were written that way. But I haven't written in that mode for a while and was afraid it would feel too forced. It didn't and I'm very pleased with the results.

Hopefully I'll be able to share more details soon. For now, the illustration above captures something of the mood of the ending.

1 comment:

  1. Its great the story flowed so well - I wish all work worked liked that.

    ReplyDelete